Everyone can now send invitations! Please read the guidelines. And then send your invitations.

House inspections, when they matter

Comments

• G'day Mal

I AM dealing with a private company :(

A company that uses a free email for their email address

A company that takes some time to respond to enquiries

A company that uses the words "ummmm" and "aha" and "we'll give it a try" a lot on the phone

A company that thinks that "if it doesn't get through, we'll change the variation, and have another go". At my expense of time & money.

A company that is supposed to be the local expert

God help me!

• I should point out that you are dealing with Queensland. God has nothing to do with it...

• Seano said:
    I should point out that you are dealing with Queensland. God has nothing to do with it...

:)

• didn't Jo organise for all private companies to be owned by one of his children ?

• edited December 2014

Final inspection has been & done. X_X

Looks like we actually take possession 15th Feb 2015 B-)

Who woulda thunk it? :-/ :-??

• WooHOO!!

Better start packing!

• Start? Now?

That would be bit late...

Been selling & packing schit for about a month. :'(

• completely off topic

As we are taking this new turn in our lives, I want a camera...

Something like a Panasonic LUMIX dmc-lx100, but not that expensive. Any suggestions???

http://www.digitalcamerawarehouse.com.au/prod11622.htm?gclid=CJuXqMXJtcICFVMHvAodRkoA9g

• edited December 2014

If you don't mind used, and don't need it to be fully pocketable, I'd be inclined to get something like this:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Fuji-X-A1-digital-camera-with-Gariz-Leather-Half-Case-and-XC-16-50mm-Fuji-Lens-/161510500047?pt=AU_Digital_Cameras&hash=item259ac6a6cf

I have the X-M1, which is the same camera but with a different sensor. The lens is pretty good for a "kit" lens.

Couple of points:

• Max equivalent focal length is 75mm. So you won't be able to take telephoto type photos with that lens. On the plus side it goes to 24mm on the wide end. (The LX100 is the same range BTW.)

• It's an interchangeable lens camera. So if you wanted to, in future, you could buy a telephoto zoom lens.

• It's a used camera, listed on eBay. Description etc look good, but as you know caveat emptor.

• edited December 2014

Thanks John

I really don't want/need a camera with interchangeable lenses. Also, that camera is bulkier than I would like.

I have to be honest and admit it would be wasted on me.

I want a camera that can take good low light photos without having to invest in glass.

Am I expecting too much...? :-??

• edited December 2014

Hm, depends on what you mean by "low light"... The lx-100 lens is "faster" than the X-A1 kit lens, but then again the X-A1 has a larger sensor (which usually translates into lower noise). Either will be much better than similar form factor cameras of a few years ago.

Just because the lens is interchangeable doesn't mean you have to interchange it. But I think you'll regret it sooner or later if you buy a fixed-lens camera with a 75mm max range - as a one-and-only camera I mean.

So, how much do you want to spend?

• edited December 2014

GeeEmm said:
    Also, that camera is bulkier than I would like.

This may help: http://www.dpreview.com/articles/5725116111/enthusiast-compact-camera-roundup-2014

But again, smaller camera = smaller sensor = higher noise (i.e. less good in low light) <= generalization

• Thanks for the input John

I'd like to max out the total cost at $1000.

Camera, flash, sufficient SD card.

• I just went back for a 2nd look at the Fuji link you posted.

Sold! Any other newish 2nd hand cameras you could recommend?

I really dunno schit from clay when it comes to cameras.

I am looking for a 'buy once' opportunity

• edited December 2014

Heh. Yeah that was a good deal.

Problem is low noise, small size, and not expensive are working against each other. Although $1000 isn't cheap either. I think it mostly comes down to the noise one, if you want low noise you need a "large sensor compact". If you can give up the small size slightly as I said the Fuji X-A1 and X-M1 are bargains used, I think Fuji brought out too many cameras too quickly. If you don't mind some noise then an LX7 (predecessor to the LX100, but small sensor) might be an option. I like the LXs, I used to have one, but shooting in low light, you'll get noise before a large-sensor model like the LX100. So it just depends on your expectations. I think you should go into a camera store and have a fondle of an LX100 and see if you need it that size or can handle something bigger.

BTW if you read what people say about the LX100 (and the LX3/5/7 before it) they are mostly saying it's so great for when they "leave the heavy DSLR at home". For a sole camera, I'd recommend a longer zoom length. But then you either have to have a smaller sensor or a larger camera...... :'(

• Too complicated?

• Sorry John X_X

There's a new voice in my head... no, not that one, another one.

The new voice keeps whispering to me "you don't a lot of zoom, you need a lot of sensor"

I think (?) a camera that does low light without flash is more useful to me than a camera with more zoom.

Is this crazy thinking? :-??

• edited December 2014

Hi Graham! No not crazy at all. The range 24-75 might suit you down to the ground. (Assuming we are sitll talking LX100). Having 24 on the wide end is pretty handy too (many/most are 28).

To be honest, now I think about it, the kit lens on my X-M1 is that exact same range and I'm fine with it. I do have a 300 for those very occasional occasions I want to take a picture of a bird or something. The other reason I use a longer lens is for macro. I've sold pretty much all my other lenses.

• I suppose the only other thought is that it's nearly Christmas and there might some good deals right after. Maybe the LX100 is too new/hot tho.