Everyone can now send invitations! Please read the guidelines. And then send your invitations.

Passive Radiator Subs

1235»

Comments

• soldering a 25ohm resistor onto a terminal

• Maybe it's his DMM that's broken.

• edited August 2014

I can't think of any way of knowing how it reads 29 ohms.

I haven't yet connected the driver to a speaker wire, to see if sound eminates from it.

I'm a bit concerned I could blow up a device finding out...

What if I connect it to my valve amp!

Aren't they more tolerant of crossed wireds? :-?

• JohnR said:
    Maybe it's his DMM that's broken.

I did short the terminals & got 0 ohms...

:-??

• edited August 2014

Maybe try a large battery? If the cone flies out of the speaker you'll know it wasn't broken.

• Ok looking for opinions / advice - I've read Geddes talk about multisubs and he makes a point that the room modes in the 100 -200 Hz region (above the subs) are far more important.
    My room dims are 18' x 13'4" x 7'10" and no matter where I put the mic, I get a dip at 130Hz. Other modes seem to come and go, as the mic moves around the room, but 130Hz persists. Because it is a relatively narrow dip but signif deep I am thinking that possibly a Helmholz resonator or 2, targeted for 130Hz might improve things. Thoughts ?

• Twodogs said:
    I've read Geddes talk about multisubs and he makes a point that the room modes in the 100 -200 Hz region (above the subs) are far more important.

Got link?

My room dims are 18' x 13'4" x 7'10" and no matter where I put the mic, I get a dip at 130Hz. Other modes seem to come and go, as the mic moves around the room, but 130Hz persists.

Graph?

• I'll post a graph or 2 tonight. I have plenty illustrating the 130 hole.
    What are you hoping to see ? Lots of other modes, few other modes ?
    from the current listening position (symmetrical mains/woofers) ? cause all these measurements could easily promote re-arranging the room.....
    I'll find Geddes' text where he stresses that if you don't fix the 100-200 modal region,
    "your system will sound like shyte" - I hadn't realised he was Scottish until then.

• Twodogs said:
    What are you hoping to see ?

A graph ;)

What's the height of your ceiling?

• that would be the smallest of the dims in my previous post - I can't remember off the top of my knee.

• It would at that. See bobgolds.com. So perhaps boundary reflections - speakers 1.25 m from wall?

• speakers are diagonally placed so each one is <1m from the nearest wall, but could be1.25m from the other adjacent wall - if you get my drift, Fonzie.

• Actually it would be a quarter wavelength so around 0.65m if I'm working it out right.

Easy way to test that theory is to move the speaker. Shouldn't take long :-P

Or it could be that you'll just have to start all over again.

Dr Jack Fonzie