Everyone can now send invitations! Please read the guidelines. And then send your invitations.

Passive Radiator Subs

Comments

• spent 6hrs last night gluing screwing rasping sanding priming. A box of cab merlot for company was fairly wobbly by the time I went to bed. another few hrs needed before boom boom.
    Looks like I won't be having a gtg afterall thanks to Graeme giving it a big brush.

• Did you use the cab merlot to stain the box? It's the latest thing you know.

• I use the cab merlot to stain my shirt front 60s style - let the sunshine, let the sunshine in, the sunshine in.....

• You're good...that was in tune!

• well just learned something - T-nuts area pain in the arse. Trying to get the bolt to engage with them requires accurate drilling in the 1st place. Since I did all my drilling by hand and not using a bench drill, some the holes are not vertical and too close to the hole for the driver.To think I waited 2 weeks for the nuts to arrive, too.
    Let me know if you need some T-nuts....

• Well I'll take 'em ... (if you're serious). But how are you going to mount the drivers then?

• Nigel, you could just fill in those holes, rotate the drivers a few degrees and redrill. Bunnings have a drill stand thing for $20 that you can use if your drill has a 43mm collar for a handle (that's what I use) - http://www.bunnings.com.au/sontax-43mm-collar-drill-guide_p6350091

• thanks John, I intend to redrill and screw the drivers when I've finished measuring and "tuning" them. Today I fired them up and am very pleased, they sound great.
    One is placed in a corner and the other offcentre on an opposing wall.

• Awesome! Well done.

• ok - now to setting up the multi subs (2 only). There are some interesting articles which seem to deal mainly with home theatre multiple seats in an array. Since my system is fundamentally a 1 seat system, perhaps I don't need multi subs...
    There also seem to be differences in philosophy, between symmetrical placement vs asymetircal. Geddes suggests overlaying the mains with a high sub, then a lower sub .
    Lots to try to see which is best.

• All depends on the room acoustics .
    My previous house the room needed at least to subs , the room in the new house one sub loads the room nicely .
    Paul and John could explain it better than I could ever .
    Then you need to look at out of the subs as well .
    I would measure the room first then go from there .

Cheers

• The hurgen in the murgen ant what the umblig dumblig.

• JohnR said:
    The hurgen in the murgen ant what the umblig dumblig.

What the :-)

• That's my explanation! Shorter than usual, but it's good to be concise.

• Here's a tip.

Don't do what I do.

What did I do, I hear you mumble under your breath!?

A friend gave me 1 x sub driver & 2 x matching PRs

I bought a 2nd hand plate amp.

I spent a whole weekend effing around making the completed sub enclosure.

Then, and only then. Not before then. I put a DMM across the driver.

29 ohms.

I may have wasted some time & money me thinks. :'(

• ! So it stopped working and the guy threw out the amp when it could have been the driver?

• Yep. Or the amp took out the driver with it.

• edited August 2014

I'm curious as to what kind of failure would make it 29 ohms instead of short or open.