Everyone can now send invitations! Please read the guidelines. And then send your invitations.

NBN!

Just got an email, it's coming to us!

And here I was thinking I was going to be stuck on 3 mBits forever.

Comments

• Good news John :)

• I dream of 3mbits. No-one will ever need more than 64Kb of RAM.

• Been using fauxNBN a while in the form of the interim satellite NBN (where they bought space on the Optus satellite). But just yesterday we were able to sign up to transfer to NBN fixed wireless.

Rather happy about that since we'll go from a 6/1 plan (600 ms latency) with 10GB per month for $40 to a 25/5 plan (100 ms latency) with 30+60GB per month for $45...and a potentially much more stable signal to boot.

• elitist!

• Hey Graham, is QLD govt Lib or Lab ? (will determine when you get NBN)

• OK...we might have to be patient. First available test and (perhaps) install date for our new fixed wireless connection is mid August...

• Gopi tells me there was a van with an NBN sign on it prowling our street yesterday. MEGA BITS!!!

• Actually the main reason this is exciting is so that we can get better quality picture from Netflix.

Yes it's shallow. But I did predict it years ago.

• JohnR said:
    Actually the main reason this is exciting is so that we can get better quality picture from Netflix.

Yes it's shallow. But I did predict it years ago.

:D

• We will actually be able to get Netflix for the first time...and it will be unmetered.

• I believe you need a proxy in the US to get all the Netflix material, else you get the reduced catalog for Aust. (I could be wrong or outta-date)

• That's probably still true but since I'm unlikely to sign up for Netflix anyway (because we are useless at watching TV)...the distinction is moot.

• They closed the VPNs down a while ago, although that too may be out of date now.

• "moot"

Such a good word!

• The Moots invaded Spain in 711 !

• Closely followed by the Dangles and the Pikings.

• These days... no-one bothers to even invade Spain... that's progress I suppose.

• edited September 2016

We've been watching a Spanish TV series on Netflix - Grand Hotel.

Anyway NBN available to us since yesterday. We prowled the streets looking for the node and found four (which I had never noticed before). Closest one is about a km. Still should be a fair bit faster. One thing I had never realised before is that you no longer have an actual "landline" - doh. Have to use VOIP. Seems the copper is going to be turned off anyway sooner or later.

Thinking we should just go for it.

• From Oct they will be installing the NBN in our area .

• I got a response to my query re speeds. 'Spose I better do it.

Still watching the Spanish TV series.