Everyone can now send invitations! Please read the guidelines. And then send your invitations.

Should I...

edited December 2015 in Audio Projects

buy two of these?

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-rss390hf-4-15-reference-hf-subwoofer-4-ohm--295-468

They are on special for another day or so... works out $590 landed for the pair.

I was thinking a dual opposed sub like this:

http://audiofrequency.com.au/discussion/comment/728/#Comment_728

I'm thinking I'll undersize the box for a Q of about 0.75 - that makes it 450 x 450 x 900 mm long. With 500W per driver that means Xmax is not exceeded at low frequency (handy for HT...) and a Linkwitz transform can always be used to give it a virtual lower Q.

Comments

• what does this (expensive) plan offer over a single driver?
    Knowing your regard for the neighbours, I find it hard to imagine you hitting any XMax. Brett? Perhaps. Terry ? well he has no neighbours.

• Dual opposed vibration cancelling & a simple box could be had .

What about a pair of Alpine SWR-12D4 might work out cheaper ?

Cheers

• Ah yes, forgot about the sub wandering across the room. IMy sub has a single driver with 2 opposed passive rads, for that purpose. 10"Peerless with 2 x10" PRs with 200W
    plate amp, on 1/4 volume, oodles of rumble.
    At one stage I had 2 of these subs asymetrically placed and ended up getting better measurements (at my single person listening position only), when I removed one.
    Tons of deep bass too. When they are on, but the mains are off, there is this disconcerting rumble going on, very un-musical, but when all the pieces come together, well I do too.

• As I recall, it was my suggestion that you use the opposing PRs ;) I have bottomed out the opposed 10s (above) on movies.

Mal, those Alpines look phenomenal for a small box. Response is similar to the 10s (f3 = 42 Hz) but with 6dB more output at 20 Hz. With VCs wired in parallel for a 2 ohm load the Crown will drive them with 750W which is about right. Not cheaper tho at RRP $329 each.

• Alpine SWR-12D4 $280 each at Elite Electronics or a couple of buck s more delivered to your local Big W http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-ALPINE-SWR-12D4-TYPE-R-12-1000W-RMS-SUBWOOFER-CAR-AUDIO-4-OHM-DVC-SUB-BASS-/281511662887

• JohnR said:
    As I recall, it was my suggestion that you use the opposing PRs ;) I have bottomed out the opposed 10s (above) on movies.

Mal, those Alpines look phenomenal for a small box. Response is similar to the 10s (f3 = 42 Hz) but with 6dB more output at 20 Hz. With VCs wired in parallel for a 2 ohm load the Crown will drive them with 750W which is about right. Not cheaper tho at RRP $329 each.

I paid $120 each :D . If you wnt I could find out if I can get another pair or there might be a pair lying around somewhere .

Cheers

• edited December 2015

The question in the OP is somewhat moot now, they ended the sale a day early X-( :-??

• Hows those Alpines :)

• Beasty little beasties! Can't do anything this week but next week.... oo baby

• JohnR said:
    Beasty little beasties! Can't do anything this week but next week.... oo baby

B-)