Everyone can now send invitations! Please read the guidelines. And then send your invitations.

OPPO BDP-103AU - yes? No ?

Today a chap from work brought over Cambridge Audio dac and some v-link device connecting his laptop to my system.
He mentioned something about massive sample rate music files (5k?) on his laptop and it all sounded very nice. Steely Dan came up and I mentioned a Collection set I own which is poorly recorded, and put the same track that he was playing (Hey Nineteen?), on in my DVD/External DAC, to demonstrate the quality drop. Yep noticeable drop. Then he said "chuck the disc in the Cambridge Audio" which I did, and wow that's better. So after many comparison to other dacs where my weird combination of $70 dvd with $1000 Rakk dac + homemade buffer, was clearly bettered.

Over recent times I have been considering upgrading from my $70 dvd to Blueray capability. I remember lots of threads about OPPO and thought maybe that is what I need. Anyway, I mentioned what I was needing and immed he said "OPPO", so that was a coincidence. He has had 4 of them and given them to friends etc. He says they sound almost as good as the Cambridge Audio, and never had a problem with any of them and they are $699 at Len Wallets. Not a bad price.

Problem, I am taking a lot of hearsay from this workmate whose audio credentials are somewhat unknown to me, except coincidentally we were both roadies for Midnight Oil a few decades ago. So I thought I'd put it to this group whose opinions are respected.
Does anyone know the OPPO BDP-103AU or other model ? what do you think ? Is there some other Blueray player with better bang for the buck ???

Comments

• edited July 2015

I have one. I don't use the analog outputs (for a reason).

If you liked the Cambridge, wouldn't it make more sense to get one of those? Graham liked it also.

• Fair enough - I'll get the CA 752 which costs about $500 more.

• Hard to tell reading reviews, but the CA seems to out rate the OPPO

• You can get Bluray players at Aldi now.

• Chnaged my mind, think I might look at a cheap BluRay player and a separate dac.
    Looking at the CA Dac Magic - any opinions ?

• I realize it's a bit old school, but have you considered getting the CD player?

http://www.eastwoodhifi.com.au/specials - electronics a.htm

• Twodogs said:
    Chnaged my mind, think I might look at a cheap BluRay player and a separate dac.
    Looking at the CA Dac Magic - any opinions ?

Nothing much wrong with most CA stuff but I will also say that I have a Redgum Audio RGDAC5 that I'm not using... http://www.redgumaudio.com/products/amplifolia-range/rgdac5/

• Thanks John, Sean,
    I guess what I am looking for is a dac that will handle lots of inputs, formats and sample rates, which straight DACs typically don't do. It seems that streaming may be the future.

• Streaming isn't the future, it's the present. Could you let us know when you decide what you actually want advice on?

• JohnR said:
    Streaming isn't the future, it's the present. Could you let us know when you decide what you actually want advice on?

How much will you charge to rip approximately 1,300 CDs to an appropriate lossless format onto one or more archive standard hard drives?

• edited July 2015

Just use itunes, set up the computer to autorip a CD and autoeject. And fetch album art. Set it to rip to ALAC. Leave it on and whenever you walk past it, put another CD in. Maybe the younster can earn pocket money doing it. A few might fail, so put those in a separate pile to deal with manually. When the whole lot is done, use XLD (or Windows equivalent) to batch convert the whole lot to FLAC. It will be done before you know it. Excitement!

That will be $100 :)

• Wait... don't you already have all your CDs ripped?

• JohnR said:
    Wait... don't you already have all your CDs ripped?

Kind of. They are ripped as WMA lossless...which kind of limits things. And it took months to do it way back in the day...

As for ripping on itunes...our otherwise functional Imac is one of the last of the 32 bit machines so has been abandoned by the Apple Lord. I may never kiss his fruity arse again as a result...

• edited July 2015

OK, but you should be able to convert them to FLAC (or whatever) without too much drama (?) What about this: http://www.freac.org/

• That'd work...

• Turns out that a mate looks like scoring a cheap Oppo BDP 95 for me. It is the "audiophile" version of the 93. These have been superceded by 103 and 105 respectively.

• I bought a CA BD752 over an OPPO 105.

The CA cleaned up the OPPo when playing CDs

• GeeEmm said:
    I bought a CA BD752 over an OPPO 105.

Are you as mystified as I am by Nigel's logic?

I like this Cambridge unit -> therefore I am going to buy an Oppo.

• Not saying the Oppo is better than CA BD752, in fact reviews seem to indicate the contrary.
    The Oppo ticks many boxes and the SQ is reputedly very good. OK the clincher is the price $450, which I'm pretty sure I won't lose much on, if I choose to pursue superior offerings.
    As far as logic goes, since white is better than green, and 10 is more than 2, I put my money on 8 white. More often than most, 8 white comes up, about 1 in 40 spins.