Everyone can now send invitations! Please read the guidelines. And then send your invitations.

Wires and circuit traces are like road ways

There is a discussion over on KillerDac how polishing the metal legs of capacitors changes the sound...

http://killerdac.com/forum/index.php/topic,3086.0/topicseen.html Replies 3-5

"Wires and circuit traces are like road ways for the electrical signal especially the high frequencies that tend to travel more on the outer part of wire .Silvo or brasso will polish the wires to a lovely smooth finish .The biggest benefit from polishing is a gain in purity ,and delicacy in the upper mids and highs."

I think this is a new levele of eccentricity.

Or have I missed something?

Comments

• Ah yes, excellent advice but this is important too:

"The polishing is great and its free ,especially if you leave the leads longer like I do with really rare and exotic parts like these caps"

More costly if the leads are short, unquestionably.

• I refrain from comment......

Hello Jules! How are you? I will be flying over you in a few hours, I will try not to drop anything.

• C'mon John

Let loose

Let that articulate enforcer hiding behind your spleen out for a walk around the park...

• I'm well thanks John ... flooded out of my place at the moment so a food drop won't be needed this time, thanks.

• Graham, I'm struggling to understand why you go to that site. I find there is no end to the stupidity and it was amusing once, a long time ago....

• Jules - crikey, hope it works out.

I'm considering the deeper effects of polishing on audio things in general.

• edited January 2015

Twodogs said:
    Graham, I'm struggling to understand why you go to that site. I find there is no end to the stupidity and it was amusing once, a long time ago....

G'day Nige, I still find threads like this on KD very amusing, hence my occasional visits. :D

You couldn't make this shit up! :D

• =))
    Something getting hand polished ,

• Just as well there's a capacitor at the end of that thing he's polishing, otherwise his hand would fly right off the end.

:-P

• The last capacitor I polished turned out to be directional. I was polishing so hard to get that pure purity that I created a reverse polarity charge. The capacitor popped and injected its smoking contents up my left nostril...

Next time I'll use the Dremel.

• Well, we are just getting really silly now!
    The engineer in me gasps, then giggles, then sighs!

"Next I will attack the cat 5, strip it of the plastic and then polish the bare wire with emery paper, then clean the wire with alcohol finally insert it into some oversize Teflon tube."

There must be a name for this affliction, where you convince yourself that all & any effort you contribute, results in a positive outcome.

A very definite perceivable outcome.

Where the manhandling of wire, will result in music reproduction replacing reality.

I think i know what's really being manhandled here!

• GeeEmm said:
    Well, we are just getting really silly now!

"Next I will attack the cat 5, strip it of the plastic and then polish the bare wire with emery paper, then clean the wire with alcohol finally insert it into some oversize Teflon tube."

I've actually tried this. Though I just wrapped mine in plumbers tape. I was bored and I needed some signal wire to link the PCB signal out and the RCA plugs. It worked...

...but was it better than a twisted pair in their OE PVC wrapping? Nope.

• "... polish the bare wire with emery paper"

That worked?

• Anyway you wouldn't polish with emery paper :-|

• GeeEmm said:

>

Jeezers Graham, who the hell is this engineer and did you know what he was up to when you invited him back to listen to your system? Are you ok now and able to walk ?

• Nigel, if it can be twisted into a gay-slur, you're the man! :notworthy:

• edited March 2015

GeeEmm said:
    "... polish the bare wire with emery paper"

That worked?

No. That was a step too far. Though I may have touched up the ends with wet and dry paper to see if that helped the solder 'stick'...

Now that I think on it I might still have a short signal lead (RCA to RCA) I made a decade ago using the same method...want to try it?

• No thanks Seano.

I'm much happier sticking with my narrow mindedness.

It's a very comfortable place to be.

• I've done that. But it's easier to use new wire.

• GeeEmm said:

I'm much happier sticking with my narrow mindedness.

It's a very comfortable place to be.

True. But I find that the random stampede of turkeys through the joint gets a tad annoying.