Everyone can now send invitations! Please read the guidelines. And then send your invitations.

New TV

To my surprise, we're suddenly authorised to buy a new TV.

I read that Panasonic plasmas have the best picture. However, I also read that Panasonic have announced closure of their plasma manufacturing facilities as of next April. Anyway I'm thinking this one:

http://www.harveynorman.com.au/panasonic-viera-50-full-hd-3d-capable-neoplasma-tv.html

I don't care about the 3D but that's what it comes with anyway. What would you do?

Comments

• We will be looking for a new TV as well .John what's the power consumption on some of these new TV's .My old Pana 50" plasma usage is 600watts ,the 42" LCD is 130 watts .

Cheers

• I have 2 Pana Plasmas.

I wouldn't anything else, even if they are becoming last edition.

Get one while you can, before everyone realises, and the prices become non-negotiable.

• I've got an old cathode ray TV which gives a great picture, you can have for free.
    Needs a little work in order to get the colours right, but the price is right. 23" screen. Take it or leave it

• Ha hah, thanks Nigel. 'Fraid that lump of lead is yours to deal with :)

MALfunction said:
    We will be looking for a new TV as well .John what's the power consumption on some of these new TV's .My old Pana 50" plasma usage is 600watts ,the 42" LCD is 130 watts .

Hi Mal, good question, looks like the 50" is 122W. 172 for the 60", 199 for the 65" see Quick Start Guide page 20.

GeeEmm said:
    I have 2 Pana Plasmas.

I wouldn't anything else, even if they are becoming last edition.

Get one while you can, before everyone realises, and the prices become non-negotiable.

OK! It's been approved :) It most probably won't fit in our car, so if we went to harvey Norman to get it it's plus $49 for delivery. Looking around, bigbrownbox.com.au has it for the same price and free delivery. And they will take away the packaging :) There are some stories of botched deliveries on productreview.com.au but Harvey Norman, JB hifi etc are much worse...

Any thoughts?

• Would it fit in the back of my stationwagon ?

• Maybe! I'll call and see if I can find out how big it is.

• 139 x 79 x 22 cm (boxed)

• Any thoughts?

Yeah. Buy a ute...

• Easily fit in my s/wagon.
    Even easier if we fold in in two.

• Well, Harvey Norman had the Panasonic 50" today for $997 so we got one. They'll deliver it on Tuesday. Thanks for the offer Nigel! But I read that plasmas shouldn't be laid flat when transporting. When are we doing those measurements anyway?

• That's a bit personal isn't it!? :D

• PHWOAHHRRR!!!!!

I'm not really an HT guy but this is really nice. Just unpacked it and started watching a Blu-ray. But I stupidly went into the "Apps" and now something is downloading.

Think about what our parents watched 50 years ago. I'm guessing back then a little black and white telly cost effectively quite a lot more than $1000 in today's money. Imagine what we'll be watching in 50 years time?! The mind boggles.

And I haven't even tried the 3D goggles yet.

• You plugged it into the 'Net? Now it's watching you, never mind you watching it!

As for what we'll be watching in fifty years…

…whatever we are watching now just so we can remind ourselves (and inform everyone else) that things were better back in our day.

• Hah, I'll be watching Blade Runner for the 200th time. I'll have to save up some hundred-dollar coins to buy the 80th anniversary special edition!

I was actually trying to check the weather :-P. But there seems to be some free-to-wire TV on there too.

To my surprise the TV announced that the Blu-ray player was sending it 3D content on one of my discs and did I want to watch it in 3D. Hm, well, might work better with animated films, will try something from the video store.

• It's everything we ever wanted in a TV. We were a bit surprised by the glossy screen but apparently plasmas have to be that way. If only it could make the news more interesting.

• edited January 2014

Watch the naked news :D

• edited January 2014

Hah hah, I don't think this unit tunes into that channel :-P

Definitely a unit for a dark room. Connecting a computer really shows the difference in brightness.

OK, I have a question about remotes. Having three really is a pain. HDMI CEC didn't work but I realized maybe it's a cable issue. Even so... any suggestions for a "universal" remote?......... or is setting them up to work "properly" more trouble than it's worth...

• G'day John

Maybe do some research to use your smart phone as a universal remote?

You do _have a smart phone, _don't you?

Graham

• Looks like I would need to buy an IR addon hardware though? I cleverly bought the cheapest receiver without any network connectivity.

• WtF?

Can't you use your smart phone as a remote?
    It does have remote, doesn't it? "R, E, M, O, T, E"

:D