Everyone can now send invitations! Please read the guidelines. And then send your invitations.

Mini Convertible 2.5-way - aha!

2»

Comments

• Hey I'm not confused. I'm inspired! I had another breakthrough today. I expect I'll run out of great ideas soon. Almost ready to press the order button from Madisound and Parts Express.

• edited April 2014

Here's my latest realization. If you turn the base module around, you don't need the big "0.5" inductor. Instead, add a second tweeter and you have a Controlled Pattern Offset Bipole. And this is it below, with some caveats, but considering that it's a relatively small modification to what went before, I'm chh...uffed.

Boxer

PS. I've dubbed it the "Boxer", for obvious reasons.

PPS. This is the "Convertible" version not the "Mini Convertible" version but the idea is the same.

• edited June 2014

Back on track with the standard configuration, a modification to the port design. The idea is that you can alter the tuning without having to remove the back panel. Plugging different slots will reduce the tuning by different amounts... lessee... right, so if you plug the bottom port there will be the least change, as as you move up (plug shorter ports), the amount of change to the tuning frequency is more.

Cool!

0 - Cross-Section - slot port

PS. Sorry, the writing's a bit small, hopefully you get the idea.

• Daft question but what the hey...rather than fabricating the port section from MDF, why not use staggered lengths of 50mm PVC pipe fitted to flanges? You might even be able to use PVC screw caps as port plugs.

• Hi Seano, not daft at all...! That would work, although 50mm is a bit large (for this design). Hm...