Everyone can now send invitations! Please read the guidelines. And then send your invitations.

Making your own windows

Doesn't seem too hard? Just four bits of wood and a piece of glass.

Opening are about 800 wide by 1100 high. I'm thinking a pair of tall narrow casement windows. Partly because it seems like it would be possible to replace them from the inside. (Some of them are a long way off the ground and I'm afraid of dying.)

Comments

• Sorta like this:

• The corner join's could end up being the hardest part .

Building them yourself to you have to comply to the Building Code of Australia for casement windows ? One reg is about the size of the casement window when it comes to wind ,because they can act like a sail . I think the regs are different fo timber framed & aluminium .

Looking forward to seeing these come together .

• It's relatively simple joinery. Especially when you can buy the required timber mouldings by the metre. However, don't pretend that it will be cheaper. The cost of glass alone is enough to initiate palpitations.

Check out www.woodworkers.com.au at Brookvale by way of comparison

• They seem to do only standard sizes. If only my windows were that size, and all the same!

• edited February 2017

So I'm thinking this is production vs craft. If I can craft one (or 2) window at a time, I can account for the variation in width of the frames, and mount them from the inside (avoid dying etc). What I need is a procedure, and the right fittings to use every time.

• You can mount windows from inside. The key is not letting them go outside!. Most windows are only held in by half a dozen screws so it's not rocket science. Allan Staines has all the procedure you'll need. Don't forget flashing either...

• Oh I think I have one of his books somewhere... however to clarify, I'm not replacing the frames, just the part that opens and shuts. (heh hah, first typing said "shits")

• Ahhhh...much easier. You just need frame timber with a rebate for the glass and bead. in profile that'd be a rectangle with a smaller rectangle taken out of one short side edge. Like this.
    This style is for the sides and top and there's a thicker/taller one for the bottom. Make the sides as tall as the required sash, fit the top and taller bottom profile between sides to make the full sash width. Cut away the rebate to make the required joins.

Then some glass bead

and some glass and you are done.

After that some hinges and some casement stays. Should be all you need?