Everyone can now send invitations! Please read the guidelines. And then send your invitations.

Cutting holes in tiles

How do you do it?

From what I can tell ceramic tiles are a lot easier than porcelain tiles. However the tiles are already on the wall and I think they're porcelain.

Reason I ask: I'm installing a vent hole for a new clothes dryer.

Comments

• sounds tricky, might need to remove the tile and replace it when holed rather than trying to work on the tile in situ. You can break a few until you succeed.

• thinking about it, if you remove the tile, the square that replaces it could be made of anything...gyprock, wood, metal...

• Just removing the tiles (two actually) is one option that did occur to me... I was sorta hoping I could make it look better. I suppose I could remove the two tiles, then cut them up into pieces and glue them back on.

I still don't know how to cut the tile/s in that case.

• John, so many options...

Google, youtube...

• http://www.bunnings.com.au/diablo-ultimate-ceramic-jigsaw-blade-1-pack_p6370208

If the tile is off the wall then I use a little diamond wire hand saw...

• Seano is on the money, again! :-b :notworthy:

• You can get these at most hardware's
    mDY7T44SXZ_lxBjVCeOlOyA

Cheers

• edited May 2015

Mitre 10 had a 100mm hole saw like that for $130...! And I need 110mm. Found this, a bit cheaper and the needed size:

http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-49-56-0300-Hole-Saw-8-Inch/dp/B000CSQMB6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1431073962&sr=8-2&keywords=diamond+hole+saw+4+3/8+inch

[Edit] And never mind anyway, that won't cut through tiles. I thought I saw one somewhere... OK here is one:

http://www.amazon.com/Diamond-Tipped-Ceramic-Glass-Drill/dp/B00FI8F4BY/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1431074433&sr=8-2-fkmr0&keywords=drilax+diamond+hole+saw+4+3/8+inch

But anyway I wouldn't mind getting this done tomorrow. The tiles are looking a bit iffy anyway so current plan is to mark the tiles, cut them with that jigsaw blade and put them back on. I found this which will the end result neater, it happens to be the perfect size to fit the exhaust hose through:

http://www.bunnings.com.au/holman-100mm-pvc-dwv-floor-flange_p4750174

• edited May 2015

Graham, I did google but came up with tile cutters costing 100s of dollars, angle grinders (not game to try that), nibblers, and masonry bits.

• I think you should remove the tile and keep it until you move out. Make the hole in a piece of anything to meet ytour purpose , then when you move out and remove the dryer etc, put the good tile back.

• Photo of your Masterbuilder skills John?

• Forgot to say that I just use a masonry drill on slow speed (with no hammer function!!) to make a starting hole for any hole completely within a tile.

Just as aside too...if ever you (or anyone else) are drilling holes in your bathroom or laundry wall...just remember that there is no Dial Before You Dig service within your own home. Check thrice, drill once, don't get an unexpected faceful of hot water...or a rude shock.

• Funny you should mention that Seano...

DSCF1998

No damage done, but the scope of work has expanded a bit... as usual :-S But I'm getting there! So Graham I will have a Masterbuilder photo in a couple of days :-b

• PS that jigsaw blade is great!! Tiles are much easier to cut than I thought they would be.

• That photo made me giggle...

A Masterbuilder photo is probably more desirable than a Masterdisaster photo but if you fall for that latter then we'd like to see that too!

• This _could _end very badly... :->

• edited May 2015

OK for your mirth and amusement I present the current state of my first ever tiling job!

DSCF2016

DSCF2017

Grout goes on tomorrow. The eagle-eyed and/or tastefully inclined amongst you will note the subtle yet distinctive accent created by the use of different "white" tiles.

• edited May 2015

Help!! What do I use at the join between the wall and floor tiles? Apparently not grout - but there's also "flexible grout", caulk (acrylic?), or silicone??

NM I used silicone.

• On again off again handyman... I think this is about it. I think I still need to seal the grout, esp on the floor... but might do that next week so Gopi can do some laundry tomorrow before she flies out. The reason for the "scope creep" was that a lot of the tiles were loose already....

Anyway I learned a lot! Thanks for your help :)

DSCF2019

• edited May 2015

I sealed the grout. And to wrap this up, here's the reason for this whole rigmarole in the first place:

DSCF2020