Everyone can now send invitations! Please read the guidelines. And then send your invitations.

Headphone thing on Sat

I'll be having a small headphone-related GtG on Sat, if anyone's interested.

Comments

• Why do I get an image of a room full of 20's somethings txting each other :D

• What time is the wet t-shirt competition again ?

• I'll have the hose ready for you :-P

• edited February 2015

MALfunction said:
    Why do I get an image of a room full of 20's somethings txting each other :D

I don't knooooow Mal... but I will txt you my selfie from the event.

• I have recently bought 2 pairs of IEMs.

A Noise Cancelling pair for flying in planes, and a walk the dog pair.

It's all or nothing in head-fi land. %-(

• Well come on over then Graham! You and Gopi can wave at each other as your planes pass by.

• I'm flying up to Qld on 17th... back again on the 20th.

I'll wave out the window, whilst wearing my Noise cancelling IEMs ;)

You'll be in the garden I expect.

• My lovely wife got a pair of noise-cancelling headphones for Christmas. I thought big ones would more likely to stop people trying to talk to her. Which ones did you get oh flying man?

• You did your research!! I had to buy without listening, Gopi got ATH-NC9. She might have liked those AKGs. Oh well! How do they sound? Tried on plane?

• edited February 2015

They sound OK.

I haven't tried them on a plane yet. Soooon.

I actually like the in-ear type better than than bud type that always seem to need refitting. I hate that!

I also bought a non cancelling pair of in-ears which sound really good, for when I don't need noise cancelling eg walking the dogs etc.

In actual fact, for the money they sound bloody great. Good build quality as well.

Xiaomi 2nd Generation Piston Beryllium.

If you are looking for a good 'bang for buck' in-ear earphone, I recommend them.

Careful, there are fakes out there I believe...

John, how does Gopi feel about wearing over-ear phones on a plane?

• How could any man resist a headphone with "piston" in the name :D

GeeEmm said:
    John, how does Gopi feel about wearing over-ear phones on a plane?

She's only used them once so far, seemed pretty pleased. Next test is tomorrow. I think the carrying/portability aspect was what she didn't like so much. I have to get up at 5am.

• JohnR said:
    How could any man resist a headphone with "piston" in the name :D

I couldn't :-p

She's only used them once so far, seemed pretty pleased. Next test is tomorrow. I think the carrying/portability aspect was what she didn't like so much.

Portability & size is a concern for the common plane traveller.

Another reason I chose in-ear phones.

I have to get up at 5am.

Damn right!
    :x

• Thanks JR for the GTG, and the floor space. As I said I had never listened to good headphones and I was suitably impressed. The sound was perfect. Amazing what can be done with no room involvement. I am more convinced that a dead listening room is ideal, despite a flood of opposition on SNA when I suggested it. Doubt if I'll ever have one so it is most likely moot.

• I wonder if headphones are really "dead." Many of these mods people do change the amount of damping inside the headphone (usually adding more), which would have no effect if the headphone were "dead."

Yes! Thanks for coming over. You left without waking me up for coffee. Listening to your CD now. Glad I kept my old CD/DVD player!

• GeeEmm said:

Portability & size is a concern for the common plane traveller.

I've been informed that what you need is a bigger purse.

• I have used my noise-cancelling headphones twice now.

Once having used noise-cancelling head phones on a plane it is hard to go back.

I used them with music on the flight to Qld.

I used them without music on the return flight. Coz I left the connecting cable in my other bag.

I am just as happy to use them without music ie when reading.

The guy sitting next to me on the plane was wondering why I was wearing headphones, that weren't plugged into anything... :)

• GeeEmm said:

The guy sitting next to me on the plane was wondering why I was wearing headphones, that weren't plugged into anything... :)

Should have told him you were listening to a mix tape of your own thoughts with the director's commentary turned on.

• Very good Seano

"The best of Huey, the early years"

• After the trip up north for the funeral, I decided I could really use a pair of sealed portable headphones. I listened to PM-3s at minidisc and the sound was good, but not as good as HE-560s at home... aaannd I could hear the other people in the room talking anyway. I looked up some graphs on innerfidelity and despite people saying that sealed headphones "block out noise," they actually do nothing below 1 kHz.

So now I'm thinking, if they aren't going to sound as good as at home, then if spending that much money then surely they should at least block out noise? So hear I am, "shopping" for NC phones. minidisc have the M4u, so maybe I'll have a listen to those next time I go past there. However, I discovered the Qantas store and they have Bose NCs which really do work effectively at NC.... and I have enough miles to get a pair for nothing.... So in-ears or over? I see there is a "Bose store" in Bondi Junction, I suppose I could listen there.