Everyone can now send invitations! Please read the guidelines. And then send your invitations.

New project idea - Mini Convertible S and the Incontrovertible Center

edited April 2014 in Audio Projects

Here's a new idea. I'm not sure why I never thought of this before. Full-range performance from a fairly compact package, DIY price around $1400, not counting shipping. Reckon I can make it work...?

Convertible S

Comments

• Hi John

I like it.

Isn't the DSP plate amp 2-way?

Then you'll only need a passive x-over for the tweeter?

$1400 is build cost, not sell cost? You're building to keep, not sell I presume.

Graham

• edited April 2014

Hi Graham, yep, DSP plate amp is two-way so there's a passive between the mid and the tweeter, and the DSP does the crossover between the mid-tweet and the sub. I'm guessing crossover around 150 Hz which will give the mid a bit more headroom than when used standalone. The top section is physically the same as you saw/heard last October i.e. same box, drivers, amp.

The neat thing about this arrangement is that, while you need the passive xover, it can be simpler than a "proper" crossover because it only does high/low pass and not response shaping - you use the DSP for the latter. I tried it on my HT speakers (article on the way) and it works pretty well.

I guess $1400 for parts and materials. I may try and sell them if they work out well to fund the next project.... actually I'm wondering now if a center channel could be made based on the same idea... anyway I digress, parts cost (in USD):

• Drivers $530
    • Plate amps $550
    • Passive parts say $100
    • Sheet of BB ply $140

Total: $1320

Plus probably nearly $300 in shipping, sadly, as parts have to come from three different locations :(

Anyway that was supposed to be a short response... see I'm making it up as I go along :)

• I'm perturbed, disturbed and refurbed. My gut tells me that at 150Hz you might need to point your 8 incher towards the listener, rather than at 90o ??

• I expect 150 Hz will be practically omnidirectional in a cabinet this size. The way to find out it tho is to measure it, and if it really is too high then the crossover point is easy enough to move :)

• Well, while I'm at it, here's a "matching" center channel. Same midwoofers, similar mid, need to use an "autosound" tweeter to get the compact dimensions tho.

Incontrovertible center

Cost estimate:

• Drivers: $292
    • Plate amp: $275
    • Passive: $50
    • Wood: $35 (guessing 1/4 sheet BB ply)

Total: $652 (plus shipping)

• All you've gotta do now, is build it :D

• edited April 2014

Yeah....! I was just thinking gee, it's a lot more fun to come up with the ideas than to try and cut wood square. :D

• We should live closer together .

My 'cutting wood square' skills are much better than my integration skills :)

• My squaring wood skills have improved out of sight with the new table saw...

Can't design a loudspeaker if my life was on the line...

• yes, bolting round drivers into square holes = unsealed or ported design.

• What saw did you get , Sean?

• Laguna from gregmach in brisbane. Top value for a basic saw.