Everyone can now send invitations! Please read the guidelines. And then send your invitations.

Housewrecker

edited March 2014 in Other Pastimes

It's on again. The termite repair saga.

Lintel-001

I can't blame everything on them. Some of it is just shitty workmanship.

Back step-001

Comments

• We have faith in you John.

Now, get back to work! :D

• are you going to take to them with that hammer ?? Hours of fun, neighbours will think you building something.......an amplifier perhaps

• Hey John, I'm on the verge (ie sometime this week) of trying the thinner gapped treble panels, have opened up the bass cabinets and removed all the electronics. Will let you know how it goes.

• edited March 2014

Good o nigel!

Hammer, yes, one at a time. Actually they all departed and went to the great Nest in the Sky a long time ago. Just leaving me to clean up after the party.

Graham, thanks! Did I mention this great real estate deal I've got a line on? I can let you in on that if you like, fantastic opportunity.

:D

• Thanks John.

But I think I've already got my own money pit.

I haven't stopped spending money since we moved in 2 1/2 years ago. :(

Some people really do NOT know the basics for simple house maintenance. I don't think the previous owner knew which way to turn a screwdriver. X_X

Which reminds me. How's your knew money pit going Mal? :->

• Hi Graham, one day I'd like to build my own house. Unlikely, but I have this idea it would be easier than fixing someone else's work. OK, there's been other factors like termites, weather, and poor maintenance (my fault).

In theory. Right.

We spend so much money and time on our houses and then one day suddenly we "have" to up and move. I hate it.

• People often make major improvements or just tidy up, for the sale. If they had done it earlier they could have lived in said "nice house".

• A bit like getting your car detailed before you sell it.

It don't make sense to me, but I'm old. :)

• GeeEmm said:
    Thanks John.

Which reminds me. How's your knew money pit going Mal? :->

After building 2 new homes now owning a 48 year old home ,it was easier to get tradesman for a new home project . :-W

• edited March 2014

I need to start looking into door frames. Can you get them with the bottom part included as well?

Also, would you go to Bunnings or a proper door/window place?

• I'm lazy so I would go to a proper joiner . Plus I wouldn't have any confidence in Bunnings .

Cheers

• edited March 2014

Thanks Mal :) Is this normally an off the shelf item, or it is custom ordered?

PS Paul if you're there, would be very grateful of your help for installation (we will pay!) - tried calling on Sunday but your phone was off.

• You should be able to buy door sills/thresholds from timber suppliers .
    Mine are just made up of 40x160 timbers .
    Looks like Bunnings sell complete aluminum door frames .

Wheres seano when you need him .

• I'll go to Barrenjoey timber and see what they've got. I'm thinking if I can get the threshold (that's the part you tread on right) I can probably just reuse the existing frame. One side is a bit warped but a few screws might straighten it out well enough.

• A few screws have certainly straightened me out in the past.

• edited March 2014

Hah hah :)

For the threshold, I think I'm just going to get a piece of 140x25 merbau and cut it to size/shape. Seems too simple - ?

• How did you go John .

We had a very hard down fall this week and ended up with a major leak in the meals area ,found the problem .

• Hi Mal, I've fitted a nice threshold and next have to cut the new jambs to fit. I'm a bit slow, as you know :-P

• JohnR said:
    Hi Mal, I've fitted a nice threshold and next have to cut the new jambs to fit. I'm a bit slow, as you know :-P

You couldn't be slower than me ? :-)

• MALfunction said:
    You couldn't be slower than me ? :-)

Yes I could............