Everyone can now send invitations! Please read the guidelines. And then send your invitations.

LPG bottle prices...

I just paid $139 for a refill of a 45kg bottle.. this is getting a bit extreme.... Time to look for alternatives I reckon. Elgas say $109 for a refill, so that's one option. Even refilling 9kg bottles at Bunnings would work out cheaper I think - 5 x $23 = $115.

Comments

• Definitely getting too pricey and it's going to go up significantly more this year because our domestic prices will move up to equal the price we're getting for gas exported to Asia. Crazy when you think we could have powered many things including cars, cheaply, for years if we hadn't pissed it up against a wall [=exported it]

I decommissioned a gas fridge I've been running for years, added a couple of solar panels to my system and went over to a high efficiency solar-elec, fridge. Doesn't help with your challenge though John!

• We're on them. $125 for a swap from Elgas plus $36.80 per annum for bottle rental. Since we only use 1.5 bottles per annum...it's mostly OK. But it won't get any cheaper because the moving up to the world price...

• Where we are 10mins out of Werribee ,we have only bottle gas for heating and cooking I chose electric to power the whole house .The neighbours were paying over $900 to $1500 over the winter month's for bottle gas .

Cheers

• Blimey...that'd pay for a lot of jumpers and trackkie pants.

• Jules and Seano, surely where you live wood must be cheaper? Our stove needs to be 'lit up" to burn efficiently, there's no "low" setting really. I think I have to come up with a better policy for this winter.

• We only use gas for cooking and boosting our solar hot water. We turn the gas off to the solar between October and Easter. So we don't use much gas...

Heating is by wood - which reminds me I have to order a new stove (a little Nectre from Adelaide) because the current Masport has had its day.

• I'm getting a company out that do GeoThermal heating &cooling to give us a quote . They have been working with csro and monash uni putting together a case study . The Vic gov will be offering rebates on 6kw units until the mid of this year . So they cover most of the cost ,6kw is a small unit . Given the house is only 15 squares solid brick internally as well slab floor cedar ceiling through out 6 kW might be enough for most of the year .

• I'd love to do the geothermal but this house doesn't warrant the expense (and the topography around the house isn't totally amenable). However...if I was building...then this method would be high on the to be considered list especially if we couldn't design out the need for it in the first place. Which'd be the first priority...

• Seano said:
    I'd love to do the geothermal but this house doesn't warrant the expense (and the topography around the house isn't totally amenable). However...if I was building...then this method would be high on the to be considered list especially if we couldn't design out the need for it in the first place. Which'd be the first priority...

Solar PV would be good buts its not retro fit friendly .If you had high internal wall's you could afford to loose 80mm .

Cheers