Everyone can now send invitations! Please read the guidelines. And then send your invitations.

Speaker box volume question

I could be wrong (again) but the box calculators seem to have the goal to extend/optimise low bass. How do I work out what volume is needed for my 8" mid-bass when I only need it to go down to 60Hz ?
Currently it is in a large box trying to go as low as it can, (40Hz?) and that to only go to 60Hz might only need half the box volume, maybe even less? Are there box volume calculators for mid range to give a bandpass solution ?

I hope I have explained myself ok... ?

Comments

• edited November 2013

Hi Nigel, for a sealed box, you can't really extend bass by having the box larger. In fact, a smaller box may be better to keep cone excursion under control. it just depends on what else is going on. Even smaller might be OK, it depends on where the crossover is (unlikely for 60 Hz though).

Unibox is a simple program that can help.

• It is sealed then? "Large" can be a bit like how long is a piece of string ... large for one 8" driver might be small for another. If you like the box and it's too big, maybe you could install some sort of crazily angled internal wall to reduce the volume?

• Thanks J&J,
    I am trying to build a cabinet as small as possible, but figure that the smaller the cabinet, the higher the artificial HP filter it creates. The lowest freq I want to be delivered with 0 attenuation is 55Hz. (Not interested in anything below 55Hz, my subs can deal with that range). Will Unibox give me a box volume for a freq band, or will it recommend a volume that delivers the deepest/best bass for the driver, which I think most box calculators are doing ?

• edited November 2013

If you want the maximally flat response (Q=0.707), it will give you that. You can adjust parameters like box volume, stuffing, leakage, and it will tell you the response. It doesn't make as much difference as you seem to be thinking. What driver is it again? Here's a Peerless 830667 in 30L (close to max flat), 60L, and 15L:

Peerless 830667

The 15L box will reduce cone excursion below f3 but if you're using a highpass filter then does it matter?

Download it here!

:)

• The driver is Peerless 830491 8" - assigned the delivery of 55-190Hz approx.
    The subs will each use 1x 830452 (10") + PR for 25-55Hz hopefully

• That one looks like it's intended for a ported box. In sealed, it rolls off about 80. So a bit of EQ may be needed, depends on what else is going on. Try modeling it ;)