Everyone can now send invitations! Please read the guidelines. And then send your invitations.

Buying a Bike LAPIERRE SHAPER 300/ Giant Comax 2

Comments

• Cheers guys

• My issue with a 2nd hand $3000 bike is the $120 shifter, $140 rear derailleur, $200 rear cassette etc etc

I'd worry that maintenance/repair starts on day one.

• MUCH better spec wise. Tiagra is the sweet spot for road driveline. The hydraulic brakes are a nice step up too. You won't stress them but they can be a little fiddly in time as the rotors wear and warp. Easy to play with. The Ergon saddle and grips are a nice touch. Definitely worth the extra coin. Marin is a quality brand too.

• Now taking bets on how long it takes to work up to a new $3000 bike :D

• JohnR said:
    Now taking bets on how long it takes to work up to a new $3000 bike :D

Not worth it. It'd be a full carbon (and deadly stiff) frame with 105 running gear (one step up) for more than double the coin. And still average wheels...

However, fools and money...

• I could get this
    https://www.bicyclesuperstore.com.au/giant-fastroad-comax-2-2017.html

Frame: CoMax Composite Technology
    They say its more compliant than a older full carbon .
    FastRoad_CM_2_Black-2000px_1
    Cheers

• What is it with bike stores not updating their stock ?

• Don't forget to leave room in the budget for Lycra.

• JohnR said:
    Don't forget to leave room in the budget for Lycra.

=))

• edited May 2017

Another well equipped carbon framed bike...except this one has been hit with the ugly stick!

I think you'd be better off with a more urban bike than a flat bar road bike personally. The latter are typically more aggressive (leaning forward) in their position which can be an issue for a bad back. They are also stiffer and can be more uncomfortable especially if you don't plan on wearing lycra (or at least padded undershorts).

Steel frame, nicely equipped, excellent price https://www.bikeexchange.com.au/a/urban-bikes/apollo/vic/moorabbin/mark-iv/102762249

The Mark II of the above has the same frame but 8 speed external derailleur and disc brakes..also handy.

The Transfer 45 has an alloy frame, very tastily equipped but double the price https://www.bikeexchange.com.au/a/urban-bikes/apollo/vic/prahran/trace-45-700c-8-speed-belt-drive/102895385

there are cheaper varinats of this bike though...

• I had a look at the Transfer 45 at Prahan ,they have the Marin bikes.

I should give the internal hub bikes ago .

Cheers

• edited May 2017

Heck, I don't remember the last time I rode a bicycle. But you know what they say, it's like... riding a bicycle. That internal hub sure seems like a good idea. Derailers are called that for a reason.

• Derailleurs generally only derail when the cable adjustment goes nuts. Same thing can happen on internally geared hubs. Major advantage of a geared hub is that the mechanism is not hanging in the breeze and the sand and the mud. Disadvantage is weight and limited gear range.

A colleague just seriously damaged his carbon mountain bike frame with his rear derailleur. The derailleur got gummed up with mud and the chain jammed in it. His forward momentum and the leverage of the cranks however meant that he tore the derailleur clear off the frame and through the drive side seat stay before he came to a halt...$450 to fix the frame plus a new derailleur hanger $25, new derailleur $70 and a new chain $35.

• I have this very vague recollection that when I were a youngun we had three-speed hub gears. Pa bought cheap chinese bikes in parts and we assembled them.

I don't think Lycra was invented then.

• edited May 2017

Spandex was :))

Should be picking the bike up Friday .

Hope it fits in the car so I can take it home :-? X_X :D

• edited May 2017

Whoa! Cool. Which one? Aren't you supposed to ride it home?!! Car be damned.

• As Seano said the butt ugly one in one of the pick's above :D

• edited May 2017

Mal, don't feel bad about it being ugly. It's not your fault. Remember that you can always customize it to your personal taste, here's a lovely example -

• edited May 2017

So anyway, in the meantime I still can't figure out which one you bought. The one with the rack? That's a very handy thing to have - you can get someone else to do the pedaling for you -

I wonder if they have Uber for bicycles yet.