Everyone can now send invitations! Please read the guidelines. And then send your invitations.

Glue for CLD?

edited September 2016 in Audio Projects

In the US they talk about using "green glue" for CLD (constrained layer damping). But it's seems hard to get here and/or expensive. Any suggestions on something I could get a small tube of at e.g. Bunnings for a test?

Comments

• Anything in the Sikaflex range . Ring their tech support .
    eg 252
    Or something different 3M range of double sided tapes , but don't fall over when you're told the price :)

• There is an alternative...

For the life of me I can't remember it...

Quietglue!

http://www.wavetrain.com.au/product/quietglue-pro/

• edited September 2016

Not a great ad for the quietglue!

One thing I've learned is that these aren't glue. (Green glue and quiet glue).

I also read that in order for CLD to work there needs to be a certain amount of flex, and in something like a speaker cabinet it seems unlikely there would be enough to work properly. Big difference between 1200x2400 gyprock and say 400*600 birch ply. Presumably there is still damping but not really CLD.

Nobody seems to really know.

• Sikaflex 292
    Glue your boards together first then cut .

• MALfunction said:
    Sikaflex 292
    Glue your boards together first then cut .

He may be soft!

But when he's right, he's right!

• JohnR said:
    Not a great ad for the quietglue!

But an interesting assessment, all the same.

The thing I am confused about, is that they then screw the top sheet to the bottom sheet.

ie coupling them together somewhat.

Maybe that's because they aint really glues ;)

But I woulda thought a box-in-a-box without fixed coupling would work better.

But I aint lost, so it don't matter.

• edited September 2016

Be interesting to know how HARD it gets when cured.

Small financial loss to give it a try

:-b

• Another option
    Acrylic Stud adhesive-Plaster adhesive

• Actually I bought a tube of acrylic gap filler. Because a. it was cheap ($4) b. the experiment is only going to use a fraction of a tube and the rest will no doubt dry out and go to waste and c. nobody knows what works anyway. First experiment will be plywood glued to stone.

• Doesn't true CLD need to have both the inner & outer skins need to be of the same material ? .
    Roger bass & sub cabs will have a layer of 15mm thick rubber tile ( the type you find on gym floors ) adhered to the walls . Will be using Sikaflex 11fc to hold the tiles in place .

A guy who does sound studio's and speakers for them use's 18mm mdf with 15mm tile glued to the walls as a form of CLD and has found its so close the true CLD cabs .

Cheers

• SikaFlex 11FC bonding thr alloy to ply,but I do have some 292 that was going to hold the baffles inplace .

IMG_6665 - Copy
    Cheers