Everyone can now send invitations! Please read the guidelines. And then send your invitations.

PSE-144 ,Its alive

Last night got a invite to have a listen to Paul's PSE-144 ,its prototype 3 or 4 before full production goes ahead .
All I can say is I'm not regretting selling the 4 way I was building .
It's been audiophool approved after listening to Spanish Harlem , by Rebecca Pigeon :-)
PSE 003
Cheers

Comments

• Which audiophool approved it? ;) :D

Looks very nice, hope to hear it one day. Any idea of price?

• Hi John
    You would need to ask Paul what the kit price is

Cheers

• Nice work, Paul! Though the boss said that the plug hole was too small and wasn't chromed...[duck/run?]

• Who ya gotta phuck around here ta get an invite to listen to a pair of these?

Obviously these owners are a clicky group!

In audio!? Who woulda thunk it!?

Next thing you know, they'll be flogging DACs :D

• edited April 2014

I love it when I have no idea what Graham's talking about :-P

Today my bird flew away, gone to find her big blue jay...

• edited April 2014

GeeEmm said:

Next thing you know, they'll be flogging DACs :D

You want to buy a dac I have for sale

Cheers

• DACs are sooooo 20th century.

• So you don't want mine either?

• Hah hah. Dump it on eBay!

I'm J/K of course. But more and more, the standalone DAC seems... less relevant? Maybe I'm just hanging with the wrong crowd.

• Interesting comment John.

I must be with the other crowd.

:-W

• I thought you didn't use one Graham? Don't you use the NAD?

I don't have a standalone DAC any more. I have DACs of course but they're all in something else - Bluray player, AVR, digital crossover, USB soundcard, USB headphone amp. There's no "DAC" box.

• I struggled to discern a +ve difference between the sound of the new (at the time) Cambridge Audio CD player and the Redgum DAC5...so I unplugged the DAC and boxed it. It has been there ever since. Now I just run the CD player direct to the amp (which is fitted with a passive attenuator) to make a two box solution. Maybe I need more revealing speakers?

• You need PSE-144s! (Back on topic :-P )

• That's one reason I'm looking at Bodzio ,digital in and multi channel pro dac straight into the amps .

Cheers

• JohnR said:
    I thought you didn't use one Graham? Don't you use the NAD?

I don't have a standalone DAC any more. I have DACs of course but they're all in something else - Bluray player, AVR, digital crossover, USB soundcard, USB headphone amp. There's no "DAC" box.

I use one in the other room, where I keep the 'stereo' things.
    I have my Squeezebox Touch plugged into it.
    You do need a better DAC with the squeezebox. :-q

• re standalone DACs - as I have gleaned from the writings of the technical experts here and abroad (SNA), SQ is dictated by such things as the power supply (massive is better), channel separation and output stages. All of which appreciate Room To Move, ie their own cabin to party in.
    Other than that the same ICs/ Chips may be in the cheap and ordinary unit, as is in the superior/expensive unit.
    Short story: Headbanger/Glasslugger/Sweetlips or whatever he is calling himself today, came around with his dac, a Red Wine Audio Dac which compared favourably with my RAKK dac. The transport is a $60 Teac DVD player. After some listening I put on a Steely Dan DVD which used neither DAC, and I would have to say the DVD player's sq of DVD format music was arguably better than either of the Redbook dacs. It was no AB test, so could be wrong, but I wonder whether 24bit/192/96 (?) kHz explains the observation.
    3 hrs to go until another long w/end....wish I had enough money to retire.....

• So, you call that working!?

• The crossover is actually not yet finished! There has only been one listening session and even Roger and it was actually the first chance I've had myself to listen to it. I've got a fairly large batch of pre orders to fulfill and it will take a few months. After that I'll make them more accessible with chances to hear them in action.

Re: DACS
    People need to listen to them blind. I've been able to identify expensive DACs blind yet not heard any audible impact with the cheap DAC on MiniDSP. IMHO they sound different when made to sound different through things like gain and frequency response. Otherwise they can be made transparent. Regarding the details like their power supply, it matters only so far as it affects the noise floor or something you can ACTUALLY hear. There is too much BS surrounding this topic of DACs and I think people could use a little eye-opening and mind-opening listening tests, but audiophiles don't want that because they prefer not to have reality intrude upon their beliefs, even if it were that same reality their ears would reveal plainly if listening in the appropriate conditions. I stay out of this stuff now, because debate threads take up time I don't have.

• When's the mini GtG Paul?

• I'm thinking July-ish