Everyone can now send invitations! Please read the guidelines. And then send your invitations.

Another project...

This turned up the other day...got it off the original owner who couldn't ride it/didn't want it due to an ongoing wrist injury so instead of paying the custom handmade in USA delivered to Australia price...I paid half...which was still quite a lot.

Twinzer1
Twinzer3
Twinzer2

It's called a Twinzer and comes from a mob known as Siren Cycles. It's all steel and weighs in at 2.3 kgs. I've already sourced a carbon rigid fork for it and am slowly assembling the rest of the bits. Hopefully I'll get a bike that weighs under 12 kg (less than the current bike) and is more compliant than the current alloy hardtail so it doesn't bash up my bones too much.

The current hardtail (Cannondale Trail SL2) goes on the market today to help pay for the wheels the Twinzer will need.

Comments

• You can't use the wheels off the Cannondale?

• I could but they were very average - OEM wheels are well known for their 'economy' and they felt very soft. I have another better set which relegated them to the shed wall. However, these OEM wheels have now gone back on the 'dale.

This other better set now have some mechanical issues with the rear hub (due to dust and a general beating) and I'm having trouble running the rims tubeless (which works well in our thorny territory). So I reckon I'll relegate them to a spare set for both 29ers and perhaps use them as a test bed to teach myself wheelbuilding.

There's actually another set as well but the rims are rubbish, I've killed the front hub and the rear wheel has tension issues so it breaks spokes - rear hub is very good though. So I could combine the best of both sets, learn a new skill and improve my stocks of alloy scrap. Later...

• Hm... no notifications, see if it works now.

I actually understood that. You're obviously very keen. Is this frame similar to the one on the bike you posted about a little while ago?

• Don't anything about bikes but it looks like a cool project Seano

• JohnR said:
    Is this frame similar to the one on the bike you posted about a little while ago?

Apart from both being bicycles...nope. This one is hand made mix of steel tubing while the other one was a mad modern mix of carbon fibre. The other one was also a dual suspension whereas this one is a hardtail.

And this one was about a third of the price. Though when new in the US you'd be looking at it being half the price of the Turner frame.

Both are very pretty in their own ways too.

• edited May 2014

Next major component is sorted...

These took a while to sort out...mostly due to the dollars involved (about 800 of them in the end).

Good wheel hubs aren't cheap and I really wanted US made hubs to go with the frame. Chris King hubs were the dream build but way too pricey. White Industries was the next option but the front hub cost doesn't represent good value due to its lack of axle adaptability (there are about three major front axle 'standards' and some front hubs can be easily & economically adapted to suit all three) so I went with a WI rear hub and a UK made Hope front hub - about 50% the build cost.

Sapim Race spokes (12%) and some de-stickered Alex Evo SuperComp tubeless ready rims (24%) finish the package and they come in weighing 1730 grams which is as light as a bloke my size would be game to go. The remaining cost (14%) was the build fee and postage...and I'm still not sure that the wheel builder gets a margin that's worth his while...so I have no idea why he does it :-??

The rest of the bike parts are either already on the bike frame (eg fork, headset, crankset) or sitting in my shed (eg brakes, saddle) while other parts are on the water (eg some drivetrain) and others remain to be sourced (eg seatpost) but we'll nail it eventually

• Look too nice to be getting dust and mud on Seano! I never realised you could assemble from parts down to the level of spokes. Very custom.

• Very cool

• Nothing need be off the peg when it comes to bicycles...though (as with DIY anything) you have to have a fair clue as to what you are doing otherwise you'll find you have a Part X that won't fit to Part Y as intended so you'll need Part Z instead.

I've just learned this whilst trying to attach a mountain bike shifter onto a road bike bar as part of a fire trail commuter bike build...

• IMG_20140512_160734
    IMG_20140512_160827

This one...

• Commuter? You must be pretty fit Sean...

• 'fit' in my experience is a relative term. Though I am fitter than I was. I only commute one day a week at the moment but it is a 60 km round trip. I rode in this morning actually...nice too. Apart from the seatpost bolt failing so I need another seat post...

The Twinzer is actually finished except for the correct chainwheel. It goes and stops and does everything one would expect for a bike. Weighs in at 11.5kg which is excellent for a steel frame.

• I hate it when the seat post bolt fails and the seat comes off the post when you stand up.
    Then tends to present a memorable sensation if you haven't realised. Encourages you to stand, I guess.

• My brother in law managed to snap the carbon fibre seat post on his road bike and very nearly impaled himself on the jagged result. Shortly afterwards he then broke the carbon fibre crank near the pedal and threw himself to the road. Once that was replaced...the carbon fibre frame itself failed at the chainstay/bottom bracket join. All of this was replaced under warranty (fortunately).

• !!!

Is the quest for light weight counterproductive?

• It can be.

I'm aware of a number of occasions where carbon components are not significantly different in weight to their metal compatriots - however their performance is...which is the best reason to select carbon fibre.

The old adage is 'light; cheap; strong: pick two'. A modified version could apply to audio gear.

On another note, first ride for the Twinzer today...nice. Need to tighten a few bits up but, for a first outing, win!

• I like the adage.

• edited June 2014

It's turned out to be a nice thing. A few little tweaks are required but all is generally fine. Comfortable and pretty quick.

[edit] removed links

• Can't see the pics :(

• That'd be because I'm an idiot...and was trying to show you pics from a subscribed forum.

Twinzer (1 of 2)
    Twinzer (2 of 2)