Everyone can now send invitations! Please read the guidelines. And then send your invitations.

Selling speakers and subs...

edited February 2014 in Audio Projects

Not an ad... didn't know where else to put this. I'm at the point where I'm wondering if I can sell (future) project builds. This is for projects that would be published in HifiZine. Basically, if I can come out of it with the parts and materials paid for and a few dollars for time, then I can do a lot more of them.

Usually, a DIYer has trouble even getting the cost of parts if they sell a project. I can understand that - frankly, I wouldn't buy a finished project from most DIYers, you never know what they've done. I'd much rather have the parts for the same price. However, I'm not most DIYers and the projects will be ones that are fully documented and measured for HifiZine.

What do you reckon? Feasible? Or not?

I guess the other way to do it would be to go into business but I'm really not sure I want to do that.

Any thoughts...... pse....

Comments

• What are you offering ? plans/kits for active speakers and similar for subs ?
    Would you have to offer warranty ?

• edited February 2014

Finished items, built and measured for a HifiZine article.

• It's feasible given that they'd be a finished product albeit essentially a prototype...especially if you come at it purely from a cost recovery perspective (as long as you don't get carried away by the value of your own time).

• I don't see the concern. I think you are over thinking this.

Just offer them for sale with a bit of history.

ie who you are and the relevant article discussing them.

This is more info than most would get about most products, speakers or otherwise.

Graham

• GeeEmm said:
    I don't see the concern. I think you are over thinking this.

Hm... what do you mean "over thinking"? I don't want to be "stuck" with $1500 worth of plate amps and drivers (per project). Just can't afford it.

• G'day John

I don't get what your concern is. Why isn't it feasible?

I would have thought (?) the obvious place to promote your sale is wherever the project is published. I'm guessin' that's where the biggest concentration of DiYers are.

DiYers love buying quality projects. They just can't help themselves. Can we!?

• If you are able to obtain the drivers, amps, minidsps(?) quickly, then you won't need to carry stock. Just wait until each order comes in.

• Nigel, I wish you would read :) I don't want to go into the speaker business, I don't want to take orders ,I'm just trying to figure out if I can build and document cool projects (that I don't really need) without losing money.

GeeEmm said:
    G'day John

I don't get what your concern is. Why isn't it feasible?

Hi Graham. Well I don't know, that's what I'm asking... I recall Mal having a lot of trouble selling his stuff, see it all the time. Although that wasn't finished.

I would have thought (?) the obvious place to promote your sale is wherever the project is published. I'm guessin' that's where the biggest concentration of DiYers are.

I hadn't actually thought of that.... HifiZine is not just DIY, and also probably fairly small proportion of readers in Sydney or even AU, but still. Maybe that would just be the way to do it.

DiYers love buying quality projects. They just can't help themselves. Can we!?

I dunno. I wouldn't buy someone else's project... O:)

• JohnR said:

I dunno. I wouldn't buy someone else's project... O:)

>

I know that

:D

• Your biggest drama is if the project isn't successful and you are either forced to call time on it or you complete it but then give a realistic write-up (ie. not glowing) and then you try and off load it. No-one wants a dud...or even something that seems like it...unless they see potential or a bargain.

• Not successful?! Whaaat!

Just kidding :) If it was a dud (try to avoid by enough design work up front) then I'd recycle the parts into another, not try and sell it.

Good thoughts all, thank you.

Sorry for slow response, been away, family matter.

• Yep, families matter!