Everyone can now send invitations! Please read the guidelines. And then send your invitations.

Size of a compact subwoofer?

edited November 2013 in Audio Projects

What would you say to 318 x 318 mm, x 536 mm tall. One 10" driver on one wall, located near the bottom.

Comments

• I'd say, well mr subwoofer you don't say much, but still people listen.

I am going to build some subs in even smaller enclosures but using passive radiators.
    http://www.vikash.info/audio/xls10/

I hope this hyperlink function woiks, as in Nu Joizey.

• edited November 2013

The XLS 10 is the king of small enclosures! But... hm, 320mm cubed? But that's internal, so it's really 356mm cubed... my calcs (including bracing and allowing 3 L for the plate amp) give me 32 L internal.

Do you have the XLS 10's already? I seem to recall that you do. Yeah! Just build it :)

• Actually Nigel, that box will give about 30 liters. Amazing how a few mm in two dimensions can change the volume.

Do you have the drivers and PRs?

• yes I got the drivers off Aslan that day we visited Paul47.
    I bought the PRs off Parts Express, and a couple of plate amps from oaudio with variable phase etc. Just need to buy some mdf, put up plastic sheets to stop the dust going everywhere and then fire up the Triton Mk3.

• Twodogs said:
    put up plastic sheets to stop the dust going everywhere

Vaccuum cleaner?

• the triton doesn't currently have a suction fitting and I only have 2 hands to donate to the bench saw....

• edited November 2013

Can you do it in the driveway?

Vacuum is a great invention though.

I'm thinking now something like this instead:

Push-pull sub

This is instead of two small boxes - make one "push-pull" sub. It's like a short table. With the top (shown as the circle) being a diameter of 600mm, the sides are about right for 10" drivers, and I work out a volume about 70 liters if it's 336mm tall. Which is a bit too short for a table I suppose but it's the right volume and you could make two from one sheet of ply...

• edited December 2013

I've given up on the circular sub idea for now, and going back to plan A, build two compact subs. In the end the size is 312x312x586 mm.

Wood:

Tandem Sub Pieces

One sub has a plate amp, the other doesn't. Here's a mockup of the one with the plate amp sub-enclosure, the sub driver itself goes towards the right on the opposite (i.e. top) face):

Tandem sub - mockup of sub with plate amp

Here's a mockup of the other sub:

Tandem sub - mockup of sub without amp