Everyone can now send invitations! Please read the guidelines. And then send your invitations.

Listening to records... what I'm playing now

edited November 2013 in Music and Movies

The (only) reason I have a turntable is because I bought rather a lot of classical LPs some time ago at a price "too hard to resist." Since then I've purchased a couple of lots of non-classical as well. Here's my theory: if it really is "all about the music" then surely technology must bend its knee to art.

Right?

So, playing right now...

JS Bach, Magnificat. Emma Kirkby, Monteverdi Choir, English Baroque Soloists, directed by John Eliot Gardiner.

As it happens, I have this on CD as well, and it's truly one of my all-time favourites.

Comments

• So is the speed behaving nicely now with a little more use ?

• Intersting...

Is it just me?

I am YET to hear a classical recording that actually sounds realistic.

I never hear the timbre of wood, nor the attack of brass, nor the dynamics of a piano.

I have heard live classical music, from a quartet to the whole shibang. Love the dynamics and the emotion.

I never get that on a recording.

Is it just me? Or do others concur?

• Yes. Except that it's pretty much the same for any musical style one cares to name.

Perhaps we could suggest the heresy of individually recording each instrument during an orchestral performance and then re-mix them back together in the studio into a 'performance' more suited to reproduction on the lounge room hi-fi system...

• Hm. Graham, are you saying it's the recording or the system?

• Tony_G said:
    So is the speed behaving nicely now with a little more use ?

It's pretty good most of the time. Then it decides to play up. I wonder if I need some grease in the bearing or something, that does seem a little stiff when I start it. Just wondering maybe it's a combination of factors.

• JohnR said:
    Hm. Graham, are you saying it's the recording or the system?

Hi John. I'm talking about the recording process.

I speculate, classical music is the hardest to reproduce coz of timbre, attack, dynamics etc. So it shows up the weaknesses of the bastardised recording processes easist.

For the life of me, I don't understand why it has to be compressed, expanded, mixed, moulded etc.

For example, play a recorded sax solo on your system. Then get someone to play a saxophone in the same room. Or any other non-electric instrument; piano, snare drum, violin, double-bass.

They are not even cloe to similar in sound. The notes may be there, but not the life of the instrument.

I speculate further, that if recorded classical music sounded like live classical music, they wouldn't be able to keep up with sales demand.

I do not own one classical recording for this reason. I continuously think to myself "that doesn't sound like a real piano."

But, what do I know about such things!?
    I know I aint buying any of it, that I do know.

Graham