Everyone can now send invitations! Please read the guidelines. And then send your invitations.

New prototype

edited August 2016 in Audio Projects

Finally getting some wheels turning on OB version 3. So far, measurements are looking good, won't get amplification/crossover up so I can actually listen (mono) until next week. This lot is intended to go down to about 100 Hz, dipole subs below that.

DSCF8497

Comments

• Can I say again just how much I love those pipe cleaners...?

• Pipecleaners !! of course, I thought they were ribbons not needed since John's haircut.

• John, is that ribbon at the top the same as that system 2 years ago ? I really didn't think it was good enough. Hopefully the larger ones deliver ??
    Have you adjusted everything ? ready for pizza and wine ?

• Having the subs come up to 100Hz means they will be locatable. Do you intend to place them next to the mains? or either side of the LP like last time,. which worked.

• Seano said:
    Can I say again just how much I love those pipe cleaners...?

You can :D They make speakerbuilding fun!

• edited August 2016

Twodogs said:
    Having the subs come up to 100Hz means they will be locatable.

No it doesn't... ;)

Different tweeter. Different everything, in fact, except for the piece of chipboard :)

• Re pipecleaners, you can use them with cone drivers too! (Earlier version of prototype)

DSCF8468

• I look forward eagerly to the audition.

• Are they coming to Bathurst ?

The pipe cleaners that is :D

• I have a few that I can spare... just for you :-*

• Twodogs said:
    I look forward eagerly to the audition.

I hope you've got good glasses!

• Alright ! Sunday it is - see everyone there !!1

• Cue music. =D>

And a one, and a two, and a three, and a...

"... there's a bear in there.

and pipecleaners as well...

will it sound any good???

only time will tell."

X_X

• Well, I thought something was amiss with the measurements of the woofer. Got the other one out of the box, and sure enough, the one I was testing with was WAY out of spec. This curves is a nearfield measurement of both woofers flat on their backs on the floor - the actual curve doesn't matter, just look at the difference -

TD15M difference

Arghhh :'( :'( :'( :'(

• Unfortunately, I can't even think of a way to make a centre channel with the one good woofer. Back to the drawing board.

• A rare example of when Yin and Yang fall out.

• Seano said:
    A rare example of when Yin and Yang fall out.

What? :)

JohnR said:
    Unfortunately, I can't even think of a way to make a centre channel with the one good woofer. Back to the drawing board.

Well, maybe I can, this guy did -

http://aespeakers.com/dual-ae-td18h-mains-and-td15m-center-channel-by-lukeamdman/

Gopi says she doesn't want the screen any higher, but maybe she won't mind...

I think I've figured out another approach to this speaker. Less volume but that's OK.

• edited September 2016

OK so back on the bus, here's the rethunk version. I've had to give up max SPL goals and there's now a passive xover between the tweeter and high mid, so the whole system will be a 3-way to start with. Will make it a 5 way later X_X

DSCF8536

• It occurred to me, stupidly enough, that maybe I can even bring this up to Bx. Hopefully I can get a couple of things off my plate and work on it this week.