Everyone can now send invitations! Please read the guidelines. And then send your invitations.

Streaming music services - Rdio, Pandora, etc

edited November 2013 in Audio Talk

Anyone subscribed to streaming music services? I only just realized that Pandora was made available in Aus recently (well, last Dec I think) and have been playing it from the BDP-103. You just put in an artist and let it go. Sometimes it doesn't work well at all but other times it's uncanny how it finds stuff that's similar.

I'm using Rdio on my laptop. I think I might end up paying for the upgrade on this one. As far as I can tell you can just search for stuff and add it to your "collection" and play it any time you like.

Comments

• kind of...mostly use Grooveshark. Though a mate showed me Spotify the other. But Spotify Free has a time limit for audio quality per use - so they artificially break up the stream. The other one is of course last.fm but I've not played with that for a bit.

Biggest 'problem' is that streaming at home has required bandwidth we just haven't had to date. Now with this new Interim NBN satellite service...things are looking up provided one plays outside peak times when there are congestion issues.

• I'm wondering how much bandwidth I'll end up using. Not really much of an issue for me though as I have 30G and going up to ... oh wait I just checked, I now have 50 GB! And only another $10 for 100 GB.

One nice thing about Rdio is that you can download albums onto a mobile device. Aha! The iPod gets a fresh lease of life. Just need to get the cable for the car. You do have to pay a monthly subscription for this after the trial though.

• edited November 2013

Stop playing with it, you'll go blind! :)

• ?

"It's all about the music" :-P

• First go with the offline Rdio on the iPod in the car today. Some confusion when all of a sudden the ambient selection started playing Ian Anderson, but it seemed to work Ok when replayed. Hard to see what's on that little screen sometimes. Flying colors etc, the MP3 quality is less objectionable in the car definitely.

• Used to use Pandora as well as Spotify. Now just use Spotify. It works on everything from my SBT to my iPhone and has the artist radio feature that Pandora uses.
    The really cool thing is building playlists. You can even add a favourite album as a playlist.
    I subscribe to the premium service for the higher bitrate. Best $11 per month ever.