Everyone can now send invitations! Please read the guidelines. And then send your invitations.

New tools

124»

Comments

• edited May 2015

JohnR said:
    Well I think Charlie the Chainsaw has just earned his keep -

e was a good boy, now he gets to cavort in the shed with Minnie the Mulcher.

Seano, speaking of sharp chains, I guess I need to learn how to sharpen the chain. Is there any difference between these filing kits or are they all basically the same?

Nice effort...cutting green wood might be the difference between your experience and mine.

Sharpening chains is somewhere between doddle and art form. We still use a plain old file in a guide rather than a sharpening machine. Hold the bar in a vise and then flail away.

Either the Oregon or Stihl kits are fine.

Funnily enough I tend to get The Boss to do it as female users tend to be more methodical and less hurried and therefore seem to get better results.

However...I do like the look of this https://www.timberlinesharpener.com/

• edited May 2015

That does look nice... it would cost over twice what I paid for the chainsaw! But it would last forever by the looks. Most of what I need the chainsaw for is green. It has a tooth thing on the front that digs into the wood. I assume it's slower than a petrol one but if I don't rush it it's pretty smooth. Much better than the cordless one I had before (now THAT was a toy...!).

TBH I am avoiding petrol tools, maintaining them is something I don't want to add to my list! I have had a petrol chipper and a blower but sold/traded them.

Graham, I bought it to do my nails with :-P It has variable speed so I can make it go faster for those tough toenails, and a dead man switch so if I scratch myself with it I go "Ouch" and wave my hands in the air and then it stops and doesn't remove the toe completely O:)

Actually, in the store the guy told me those ones are not very popular, I asked why not and he bent over, left elbow on left knee and waved a barrel type grinder held in the other hand around on the floor between his legs, to show me what you can't do with a rat tail one. OK so I'm not going to use it like that... I did some test cuts (metal roofing tiles) yesterday and it feels perfectly natural to me, much more so than the barrel type.

Also, the carport structure needs some rust removal and the edge of the concrete path behind the house needs to be taken back - part of the termite problem is that it's too close and debris collects there very easily. Hopefully this is the right tool for those jobs... (?)

• edited May 2015

Make sure you use the right blade for the job

I don't know if you know, but there are blades for

Slicing/cutting metal

Grinding metal

Slicing/cutting stone

As well as others...

• Yep, right blade for the job. I think I'm getting there!

• So far only roof tiles still but I really like this angle grinder, much easier to use than the 4" one. Adjustable speed, constant speed control, no tool needed to adjust guard, and I realise I've been using it left handed which can't really be done with the other one (barrel).

• edited July 2015

[High voice with indeterminate silly European accent] End zsooo... here is ze reason for ze fire sale on ze toolsa! Ze cordless multivaddlepatter!! Umschlockengoopapocken. Pooken dokken bikken. Ze toool!

• edited July 2015

[Even higher] Alzsooooo!!! Ze ozzer tool! Yo!!! Hom bokken schlikken tokken. Oh Oh oh! Oooo-ohhhhhh!!!!

• edited July 2015

[House of Cards- Frank] Yahs, as ah was saying to mah dear dear friend Graham on the telephorn just today, cordless has come of age. Fahnally. It's really heaya, it is indeed.

• edited July 2015

[American DS accent] Dooooode! You, like, you know, that is so coool. Man, like, aoooh. Like, hornets! Angry hornets man! That thing sounds like it's gonna freakin eat me!!!

• edited July 2015

[Stiff British accent] We have determined the operational parameters of this unit and its effect on the subject. Our results do strongly indicate a high probability of increased speaker building. Well, that is... well, in the recipient's mind. We shall conduct further tests, but we are afraid that the condition is terminal. Reality, as commonly known to normal people... non-audiophiles, shall we say, is regrettably not influenced by a mere purchase of this... tool that sounds like a [lapse of composure] fracking jet engine on steroids.. oh excuse us, yes, we agree that the technology is impressive, indeed; very impressive; we merely question the efficacy on the subject's disconnect - shall we say - between an imagined reality and what the rest of us perceive.

• SO, I gather, you have some tools for sale! :))

• Yah :D

I did some test cuts with the saw today. The batteries immediately went from three bars to two. So I don't know how long it will really go for but hopefully long enough for what I need to do. It's pretty awesome though. A bit of dust using just the bag but not much. I already have four batteries and two chargers from the drills so the cost almost seems reasonable X_X Two batts are only 1.5Ah though. I assume there's no difference for as long as they run, will have to try them tomorrow.

• Hi John

1.5Ah is dismally small for a power saw

I would think 4Ah absolute minimum.

May end up changing batteries ad-nauseum :-?

• edited July 2015

Oh shit. Would you like to buy a cordless saw?

:D

Actually I think it will be fine. The 1.5s are for when recharging the 3s. Festool did give me a 4Ah battery but I'm selling it... to help offset this rather extravagant early Christmas present :) I figure in a couple of years 6Ah will be the norm, and the same price as 4s are now. Bosch already have a 6Ah. That's my theory anyway :-P

• Nice toys...

• I had an EOFY splurge :D I only have a couple of quarter sheets of nice ply left but want to cut the core driver holders for the torpedo subs this week.