Everyone can now send invitations! Please read the guidelines. And then send your invitations.

House inspections, when they matter

Comments

• That report sounds just like the one we had. Whilst it turned out to be mostly true...there were other issues (caused by home owners past - or their 'builders') that paled the Ghost of Termites Past into insignificance.

Unless there is demonstrable, photographic evidence of the sort of structural damage that termites can actually do (ie it looks like John's place) OR evidence that they are currently installing major structural damage then I'd not be overly concerned.

I'd be more worried about whether the roof is structurally solid and doesn't leak, the windows and doors are in decent, functional shape and that the walls are at least mostly or better still entirely in place...and that the floors can take your weight.

• G'day Seano

The report also discusses what couldn't be inspected due to lack of access etc...

It is the "unknown" that is the concern. Also we are currently 1900kms away.

If the owners want to negotiate reasonably, we are prepared to fly up & do a full day site visit to assess with our own eyes.

But, the owners will need to drop their price.

We believe this is the 2nd time a potential buyer has pulled the pin based on an inspection report.

Do they think people won't get a thorough inspection on old weatherboard house in Qld? I bit they wouldn't buy without one!?

We had a "worst case scenario" estimate of $40,000 to $50,000 to address all issues in the report. X_X

Graham

• Honestly, if you don't really know the area then you are better off not being too hasty and just go and live there for 12 months or so. Learn the areas you like, the housing stock you like and the neighbours you want to avoid.

As for what you've been told...that's what I'd tell you too. Regardless of the issues. It's a Queenslander...most of them were built on the cheap and from less than best materials and they are (these days) well past their expected use by dates. I wouldn't buy one in any condition...

• Sad to hear about the house Graham .

Do you have Long Service Leave ? If so could you take with AN leave and see how you like the area before throwing in the job .
    Gills family did it that way .

Cheers

• Good idea.

• Long service doesn't kick in til Jul-2015.

Wife has resigned, finishes end of this year.

Decisions, decisions...

• 8 months?!

• 8 months will fly pass .

Or just rent for 12 months , we rented I between house builds . In the end it doesn't cost that much . Plus it gives you a bit of breathing space .

How's the open house going with the sake of your place . Have the boys noticed strangers in the house :-)

Cheers

• Renting doesn't worry me per se.

It's the phucking moving. Especially as current quotes to move our stuff 1900km are $12000 +

• Sell your furniture , the wife will want new furniture in the new place :-) .
    If you rent you mighten need a bigger place .
    We sold our couches , dinning tables , fridge , washing machine , bed suites , coffee tables a teen but some how it came back :-) .
    Our new place is smaller than our old place which made the decission easier .

• GeeEmm said:

It's the phucking moving. Especially as current quotes to move our stuff 1900km are $12000 +

Do you know how to pack a shipping container?

• "Due to the level of accessibility for inspection including the presence of obstructions, the overall degree of risk of undetected timber pest attack and conditions conducive to timber pest attack was considered: *Moderate to High"

One way to look at this little phrase is that the inspector really didn't look and doesn't know how big the problem is but they have to cover their own arse.

and ...

"The next inspection to help detect any future termite attack is recommended in: 6 months"

... so they'd really like to do another inspection in six months, which sounds a bit passively voyeuristic if the place is heading towards being a pile of dust.

Overall, the problem is totally unquantified and could be anything from a few hundred termites in a small section of wood to a resident termite colony but as Seano says, you do need to know what the wood's like in the roof framing and anywhere else where damp could cause rot or encourage termites and none of that seems to be quantified either ???

Jules

• edited October 2014

As it currently stands, the wife & I will fly up next weekend & be present whilst our 3rd party personally inspects the building, using the report as a starting point.

This gives us a chance to actually come to grips with items in the report & the house at the same time. Rather than try and visualise the scenarion whilst 1900km away. :-q

The sellers have suggested they will address all items in the report, as a minimum.

If our 3rd party isn't happy with the outcome, we walk.

We could walk now, but we are prepared to see it through to the end.

Unfortunately, each of these decisions costs us another pile of money. X-(

Reports, air fares (fark me), lost time... X_X

• better to be safe
    good luck

• I'd keep the furniture except for the stuff you don't like anyway - buying new furniture is a PITA and it costs a lot more than you think. Speaking from experience...

12000 sounds a bit unreal to me. Maybe you can just rent a truck. Pay the boys to drive it.

• Renting a truck isn't the problem.

Not having a license to drive a truck big enough, that's a problem.

I'm open to all ideas though regarding moving our stuff from one state to another.

Last time I moved, it was one suburb away, that was stressful enough!

• "Car licence category

You can drive a vehicle that does not exceed 4.5 tonnes Gross Vehicle Mass (GVM) and can seat up to 12 adults including the driver. This does not include motor cycles and motor trikes. You may tow a single trailer (other than a semi trailer) up to 9 tonne GVM or to the manufactures specifications (whichever is less)."

Hm..... Looks like that's about this big

Wonder if the trailer would help...

You have the floor plan, I assume? I suppose one thought I just had was to make a copy and draw up where the furniture would go, would help to see if you needed to take all of it. You could confirm the layout this weekend.

• re the weekend's inspection, can you hear termites? maybe with a stethoscope ?
    just sayin'.....

• Not sure if this would be useful in your situation Graham but sometimes you can pick up a "return" trip with a removalist who's got an empty truck for the trip home after a delivery. If you can put your name down and wait for a date that suits them it can save heaps. Quotes seem to vary a lot too.

• Jules said:
    Not sure if this would be useful in your situation Graham but sometimes you can pick up a "return" trip with a removalist who's got an empty truck for the trip home after a delivery. If you can put your name down and wait for a date that suits them it can save heaps. Quotes seem to vary a lot too.

Ha! First he has to find a Queensland family that's willing to move to Victoria!!