Everyone can now send invitations! Please read the guidelines. And then send your invitations.

R values

2»

Comments

• This is what I mean by a double layer. In retrospect, wider batts would be better. The wall needs sarking and also under the rafters but that's after I fix the other part of the roof.

New insulation

• MALfunction said:
    John are you on floor boards , if so have insulated under the floor .

Hey Mal, yes and no. (Boards, no insulation). That's kindof a later project...

• JohnR said:
    This is what I mean by a double layer. In retrospect, wider batts would be better. The wall needs sarking and also under the rafters but that's after I fix the other part of the roof.

New insulation

That has to be the cleanest roof space I've ever seen. We had to clean ours out with spades, dustpans and vacuum (in that order and twice due to their being two ceilings) before we could even lay the insulation.

Definitely needs sarking under the battens and across the end wall - I'd have done that first. You won't be able to see the ceiling joists to stand on them without moving the insulation...

• seeing the joists takes all the fear out of the job

• This is a bit of a temporary setup :) Put in the double layer over Gopi's study to see how it works out. It's polyester so easy to move around.

Seano said:
    That has to be the cleanest roof space I've ever seen.

Heh, now it is. The shop vac has been earning its keep...! Although I didn't need to use a spade -- that must have been a heck of a job.

• Minor note: I found this in Bunnings yesterday, it's going to make life much easier up there! 8m long, will basically span one end to the other, four outlets along the way.

http://www.bunnings.com.au/arlec-4-outlet-power-extension-lead_p7052931

No word yet from No 1 Roofing on the roll of sarking I ordered X-(

• JohnR said:
    Although I didn't need to use a spade -- that must have been a heck of a job.

Even after eight years, just thinking about it gives the both of us the shivers...

• even when I enlarge the photo, that extension lead looks no more than 1m.

• It's an artistic interpretation of the real thing.

• so in reality, it could look like a tiger .

• Only if you poke a piece of unshielded copper wire into one of those slots whilst it is plugged up to the mains...