Everyone can now send invitations! Please read the guidelines. And then send your invitations.

Shed wall

The bottom of the shed wall is rotted out and I need to replace it. The framing was put straight onto the concrete slab and two walls are completely ruined, and a third is going fast.

Will this work? Just cementing a row of bricks onto the concrete and then putting the framing on top of that. The join between the bricks and concrete will be waterproof, right, or do I need something else?

Shed wall

Comments

• Yes. Except you'll need dampcourse on the brick first then an ant cap. Use a H3 or H4 rated timber for the baseplate too.

The brick to slab joint won't be watertight though you can get an additive for a mortar mix to cover the join that will help. Failing that you could use a concrete sealer to provide a membrane on the outside.

• I'd use the mortar additive and seal the concrete & brick course.

Sealed masonry doesn't go mouldy in dark areas & is a piece of pi$$ to clean

• Can you tilt the slab the other way so the water runs off ?

• Ooh, I hadn't noticed that. Lucky-star stamp for Nigel :D

Or create a run-off channel or coving

• Oh Graham, the nostalgia - I've been everywhere, man. Coolangatta, Parramatta, Whats a matter ..I've travelled, I've had my share, man.......

• Very good Nigel.

John, you only have to remember one thing...

Gravity always wins.

If you create a way for the water to follow gravity away from your wall, you have gravity on your team. Hence, you also win.

• an Archimedes screw perhaps

• Lol, this project is getting more complicated!

What's a coving? Yeah I know, google