Everyone can now send invitations! Please read the guidelines. And then send your invitations.

Aikido - starting over

Some of you may remember that I started an Aikido project a while ago.... I never finished it. I'm starting again, this time with one of these:

Broskie Cathode Follower

The idea is to connect it to a DAC (balanced output) and drive headphones with it. I'll be using the 6H30 tube. For power supply, one of these:

PS-1 Solid-State High-Voltage and Low-Voltage Regulator

The 6H30's will run at 150V. So the power transformers will be 120V and 12VAC, easy to find.

Let's hope I get it done this time!

PS the plan for the older one is to finish building it (12SN7s), test it and sell it, in case anyone's interested.

Comments

• The 6H30 is very very nice tube :D

• Hope so!

I suppose I better find them before I get too much further...

I'm putting it together in a leisurely manner, an hour or two each day when I can.

• edited June 2014

Been using it in a pre for the last 10years :-) , one of Black art designs

• I don't even know what a cathode follower is.

I thought it might be a member of the KillerDac forum, but now I think I might be worng!

• Hah hah :D

"Unity gain buffer" is another way to put it. Want to connect it to a DAC and drive headphones with it.

• Hey! Actual progress

BCF power supply

• That's just power without glory!

• edited July 2014

Hah hah :) Ok, here it is up and running.

BCF running

Wait, let me explain

BCF running annotated

Could be proud papa syndrome but it sounds very good. Bass... treble... blah blah. Seriously, not able to pick anything wrong with it at all, better than the headphone out on the DAC, esp in the bass. Not using cathode bypass caps, output impedance in theory around 150 ohms. Next up is to try a direct connection from a DAC.

• Very Nice John , I have one of these kits built but waiting for a transformer.

• Thanks Gordon. What transformer is it? Should be easy to get going once you get it. Love Broskie's kits, think I'll get the phono stage next.

Today I hooked up a DAC board from hifimediy, but to be honest I'm not all that happy. Perhaps I need to put the clipleads back?

BCF with CS4398 DAC

• Have you spoken to Graham about incidents of electrical conductivity through meat?

• It seems I'm very conductive. X_X

• What do they say, keep one hand behind your back?

Yes, I need to find a chassis to put it in.... Didn't want to until hearing how it sounds though.... I'm pretty sure that DAC board won't be going in, the USB DAC in the earlier photo does sound better. I was hoping for an all in one DAC and headphone amp but it will I guess just be headphone amp.

The other thing is that the power supply board is mechanically noisy, which surprises me a bit. Not sure whether I want to worry about it or not.

• Transformer volume control (the hard way)

BCF with TVC

Maybe the DAC isn't too bad after all, the TOSLINK input seems better than the USB. Might as well use it, and add a switch for an external input. Could try tweaking it a bit.... also some things still to try with the BCF board. And need to scare up a box to fit it all in....

• Will probably fit in here....

Chassis for BCF and TVC

The valves will have to stick out the top. What do you think, a little way or all the way?

• edited July 2014

A little way (won't even be that much):

All the way:

• edited July 2014

I decided to go with "a little way" as I remembered the goal of getting this finished. Simpler build that way.

Overall schematic diagram:

Outline schematic

• edited July 2014

I guess it could be a little bit more complicated with some benefits:

Outline schematic switched

• Not that complicated, let's try that again

Outline schematic switched

• The mechanical noise of the board will go away once you fix it down. Speaking of which...don't you have some plywood lying around?